Entry for Ringmer
The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Robt. Wm. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.
RINGMER is a village and parish, 3 miles north-east from Lewes, 10 west from Hailsham, and 48 by road from London, in the Eastern division of the county, Chailey union, Ringmer hundred, Pevensey rape and rural deanery, diocese of Chichester, archdeaconry of Lewes, but one of the peculiars under the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is a large and ancient building, with small wooden spire and a fine old porch : it has a chancel, nave, small side aisles, and contains numerous monuments and several brasses, but none of very early date are remaining : a clock has been added, at the expense of the parishioners. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, value about £400 per annum, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Edward Symons, B.A., of Worcester College, Oxford. Here are a National school, and a workhouse school for the Chailey union. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury. A part of the horse artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down fox hounds. Here is a police station of the Sussex constabulary. On the green there is erected, at the expense of W.P. Boxall, Esq., late of Delves House, a pump, from which the inhabitants are enabled to get the purest water. The Independents have a chapel here. The name of this place is supposed to be a corruption of Regni mere, derived from the ancient inhabitants of this county belonging to Regnum. The area of the parish is 5,626 acres, and the population in 1861 was 1,522.
POST OFFICE. – George Masters, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes, delivered at 7.30 a.m.; box closes at 6.25 p.m. on week days, & 12.25 p.m. on sundays. The nearest money order office is at Lewes
INSURANCE AGENT. – Liverpool & London & Globe Fire & Life, George Masters, The Green
Sussex Constabulary Police Station, William Elphick, constable
National School (boys & girls), Mrs. Frances Packham, mistress
Chailey Union Workhouse (for the children), Frederick Jones, master; Mrs. Jones, mistress