Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1878

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Wm. Fredk. and exors. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, 3 miles north-east from Lewes, and 48 by road from London, on the road to Hailsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Chailey union, Ringmer hundred, Lewes county court district, Pevensey rape, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Lewes, and diocese of Chichester, but one of the peculiars under the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building, with small wooden spire and a fine old porch : it has chancel, nave, aisles, and contains numerous monuments and several brasses. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, yearly value about £400, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held by the Rev. Edward Symons, B.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a mixed school, and a Congregational chapel; a Board school is now (1878) being erected. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury. A part of the horse artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down foxhounds. Here is a police station of the Sussex constabulary. Hays' charity, left in the year 1787 by Miss Hays, consists of £2,000 new £3 per cents. and £2,500 bank stock, the interest, now £300 nearly, to be equally divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde : the pensioners on this charity are now 2 at £20 per annum, 13 at £10, and 22 at £5. £27 from Chenoey's charity is distributed yearly. The principal landowners are Viscount Gage, the Earl de la Warr, who is lord of the manor, W.L. Christie, esq., M.P. Right Hon. J.G. Dodson, M.P. and the trustees of the late Sir James Duke, bart. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £9,275; and the population in 1871 was 1,478.
Parish Clerk, Charles Washer.

POST OFFICE. - John Imms, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes, 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. on week days, & 11 a.m. on sunday. The nearest money order and telegraph office is at Lewes
Miss Rickman's School, Miss Martha Meek, mistress; Mrs. Bray, infants' mistress

 

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Bodle Charles
Bodle George, The Green
Hillman Thos. Stanton, Delves house
Horsey Thomas, The Elms
Jenner Richard, The Green
Lively Thomas, The Green
Marshall -, Parkgate
Mitchell John, The Green
Mudge John W. Middleham
Paine Henry William, The Green
Rickman Miss, Wellingham
Stares Mrs
Symons Rev.Edward, B.A.[vicar], Vicarage


COMMERCIAL.

Baldwin Jonathan, farmer, Wellingham
Banks James, Cock
Barnes Eliza (Mrs.), Railway inn, Moorlane
Berry William, grocer & draper
Bodle William, Anchor, The Green
Burfoot William, Green Man
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Catt Henry, farmer, Clay hill
Champion George, huntsman to the South Down foxhounds; kennel at Ringmer house
Chandler Robt. Wm. butcher, The Green
Cornwell Wm. farmer, Chamberlaines
Crosskey Albert Ward, brewer, Wellingham
Divel Thos. boot & shoe ma. The Green
Fleet John (Mrs.), Old Ship
Ford Alfred, butcher, Broyle side
French Joseph, baker, The Green
Funnell George, farm bailiff to George Busby, esq
Gilham Alfred, blacksmith, The Green
Hemsley David, baker, The Green
Hillman Joseph, blacksmith, The Green
Hollingdale Thomas & Son, millers, Moorlane
Holman & Kenward, millers & farmers, Broyle
Holmden George & Frank, farmers, Old House farm
Huntley George (exors. of), farmer, Broylegate farm
Ireland Edwin, farmer, Broyle place
Jones Samuel, wheelwright, The Green
Martin John Geo. farmer, Goat farm
Martin Wm. Fredk. builder & saw mills
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Paige Theophilus, farmer, Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Paine Henry William, farmer
Paris Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Parris David, butcher, The Green
Pelling Wm. farmer, Old Tile farm
Pockney Charles, cowkeeper
Pratt Richard, farmer, Mount farm
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons John & Obed, frmrs. Moorlane
Somers Wm. Rashley, farmer, Oaklands
Taylor John, grocer & draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit mers
Waller Henry, shoe maker, The Green
Wells William Rufus, farmer, Plashett
White James & Brother, brick & tile makers, Broyle
Wickens Alfred, farmer, Clay hill