Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1915

Entry for Ringmer


The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Jas. and frmr. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.


RINGMER is a village and parish, on the road from Lewes to Hailsham, 3 miles from Lewes and 48 by road from London, in the Southern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Lewes petty sessional division and county court district, Pevensey rape, union of Lewes and in the rural deanery and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower, containing 8 bells and a clock: the church was restored in 1884-5, at a cost £3,002, and the tower rebuilt at the same date: the edifice contains numerous monuments and several brasses: the stained east window, a memorial to Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, was presented by W.L. Christie esq. lord of the manor, and there are others: the church affords 400 sittings. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £200, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and is at present (1915) vacant. Mrs. Duncan is the lay rector and impropriator of the great tithes. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1835 and seating 120 persons, and also a Calvinistic chapel. Miss Hays' charity, 1787, producing about £309 6s. 10d. yearly, is divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde; £31 from Cheney's charity is expended yearly in the maintenance of an almshouse, and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion now remains, is occupied as a farmhouse. The South Down Hunt Steeplechases are held on the Plumpton racecourse in April, and are well attended. Here are also the kennels of the South Down Fox-hounds, consisting of upwards of 45 couples, of which Frank Moffatt-Smith esq. J.P. of Middleham, Ringmer, is acting master; the pack hunts four times a week. Brighton and Lewes are convenient places for hunting visitors. Augustus L. Christie esq. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 5,729 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £7,998; the population in 1911 was 1,398.
Parish Clerk, Frank Washer.

Post, M.O., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office. - William John Wilmshurst, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive through Lewes 6.55 a.m. & 3.30 p.m.; dispatched at 10.20 a.m. & 1.30, 6.50 & 8 p.m. on week days; sundays,7.10 a.m. & 10.55 p.m.
Wall Letter Boxes. - Half Mile drove, cleared at 7.45 a.m. & 6 p.m.; sundays, 8 a.m.; Clay hill, cleared at 8.30 a.m. & 5.30 p.m.; sundays, 8.30 a.m.; Parkgate, cleared at 9 a.m. & 5.45 p.m.; sundays, 9 a.m.; Kennels, cleared at 1.10 & 6.35 p.m. week days only; Ringmer school, cleared at 1.15 & 6.40 p.m.; sundays, 10.45 a.m.; Pay gate, cleared at 10.15 a.m. & 1.30 & 6.50 p.m.; sundays, 11 a.m.; Railway inn, cleared at 1.5 & 6.25 p.m. week days only; Moore lane, cleared at 6.10 p.m. week days only

Public Elementary School, built in 1879, for 230 children, & enlarged in 1893 for an additional 70 children; Richard Randell, head master.

Carrier to Lewes.- William Turner, twice daily; others pass through

Police Constable, Fred Ockenden


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Byron John, Downlands
Cooper Miss, Upper Clay hill
Diplock George, Ashtonville
Doering Miss, Pear Tree cottage
Doré Mrs. Orotava (letters via Isfield, Uckfield)
Ellis Mrs. Newtown
Fenwick George G., J.P. Le Var
Furnival Rev. Charles B.A. (curate), Down view
Gaston Orlando, Newtown
Hines Albert, Church villas
Huggett James, 1 Paygate villas
Jackson James Samuel, Brookside
Jackson Misses, Paygate villas
Jameson Capt. Edmund James, Oaklands (letters via Isfield, Uckfield)
Kibbler Misses, Ashcroft
King-Sampson Richard, Elm court
Kinnaird Frank, Plashett Farm house
Laurence T. Herbert, Parkgate
Lawford Philip E. Elmhurst
Leslie Misses, St Hugh's
Martin Miss, Elm grove
Moffatt-Smith Frank J.P. Middleham
Moore Wm. Withers, Wellingham ho
Musgrave Francis Peek, The Elms
Oldham Miss, Ringmer Road
Osborne Charles, South view
Paris Frederick, Norlington villa
Paris William James, 3 Church villas
Peckham Miss, Charlton
Pelham Hon. Henry George Godolphin, Holme
Pocock Mrs. Innes, Penlee
Russell Frank, 2 Church villas
Porter John, Park house
Southerden Holland, The Laurels
Spence Richmond, The Oaks
Spencer Major Gerald R. Delves ho
Treherne George, Merton house
Twort Walter, The Briars


COMMERCIAL.

Alcorne Reuben, grocer, The Green
Aldridge Charles Alexander, insurance agent, Lovegrove villas
Andrew George Lovering, farmer, Clayhill &Plashett farms
Banks Fred, beer retailer
Bean & Burton, farmers, Laughton rd
Bennett Frank Chas. farmer, Old barn
Blunt John, farmer (letters through Shortgate)
Brinkhurst James, farmer, Green la
Brooks Henry James, chimney sweeper, Rushey green
Broyle Brick-yard, brick makers (John T. Martin, manager)
Burley Albert, farmer, Norlington
Burton Arthur, farmer, see Bean & Burton
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Carr William, cowkeeper, Smith's frm
Chandler Elizabeth (Miss), apartments, Downs view
Clark Frank, blacksmith
Day Thomas, farmer, Broyle gate
Diplock Charles, horse slaughterer
Diplock Jn. Poultry dlr. Norlington
Divall Herbert, boot maker
Durrant Fred, farmer, Swingate
Foord Edward & Walter, farmers, Broyle place
Foord James, farmer, Upper Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Fuidge Henry, farmer, Moor lane
Funnell Albert, Old Ship P.H. North End
Funnell Robert, farmer, Moor lane
Geering Lewis Arth. baker, The Grn
Goldsmith John, grocer, confectioner & fancy repository; teas provided; motor landaulette & open & closed carriages for hire, Burnham house
Guy Charles Alfred John, farm bailiff to Jas. Henry Martin, Wellingham
Harmes Amos, Railway inn, Laughton road
Hartfield Thos. farmer, Middle broyle
Hines Albert, cab proprietor
Hoad David, farmer, Harrison's lane
Hobden Jas. agricltrl. machine owner
Holford Samuel Henry, farmer, Norlington farm & Upper Clay hill
Hollingdale Thomas, farmer, Old House farm
Holloway Samuel James, The Green Man P.H.
Holter Alfred J. millers (wind), Rushey Green
Hook Frederick Thomas, farmer, Broyle Mill farm
Hooper Chas. H. butcher, The Green
Hooper William Richard, farmer
Jones Samuel, wheelwright
King-Sampson Richd. frmr. Elm court
Langridge Frank, Cock P.H.
MacBean Wm. Jn. farmer, Red barn
Martin J. Henry, farmer, Wellingham
Martin John T. farm bailiff to A.L. Christie esq. Broyle Estate works
Martin Percy T. farmer, Goat farm
Newnham Joseph, market gardener
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Painter Charles, blacksmith
Paris William James, assistant overseer & assessor & collector of King's taxes, 3 Church villas
Piper Henry, farmer, Moor lane
Pockney Wm. cowkeeper, Norlington
Porter Jn. (exors. of), frmrs. Park ho
Pullinger Geo. farmr. Little Norlington
Ranger Alfd. farmer, Chamberlains fm
Ringmer Cricket Club (W.J. Wilmshurst, sec)
Ringmer Football Club (Ernest Banks, sec)
Ringmer Horticultural Society (Richd. Randell, hon. sec)
Ringmer Reading Rooms ( hon. sec) [sic]
Seal Rhoda (Mrs.), baker
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
South Down Fox Hounds (Frank Moffatt-Smith esq. J.P. acting master)
Stone Ellen (Mrs.), farmer, Arches frm
Sussex County Motor & Cycle Co. motor & cycle engineers; repairs of every description; car for hire
Thomset Alpha (Mrs.), farmer, Smith's lane
Turner Thomas, farmer, Middle Broyle
Turner Wm. carrier, Middle Broyle
Verrall Able, farmer, Brick yard, Green lane
Waller Wm. A. Anchor P.H. The Green
Westgate Rebecca (Mrs.), Paygate laundry
Wickens Samuel, farmer, The Mount
Wicks James, smallholder
Wicks Richard Thomas, builder
Wilmshurst Wm. Jn. grocer, Post off