Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1887

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Thos. and P.H. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, 3 miles north-east from Lewes and 48 by road from London, on the road to Hailsham, in the Southern division of the county, Chailey union, Ringmer hundred, Lewes petty sessional division and county court district, Pevensey rape, rural deanery of Lewes (first division) and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester and is one of the peculiars under the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a tower containing 8 bells and a clock with Westminster chimes : the original tower was destroyed by fire about two hundred years since, but was rebuilt in 1886 by the munificence of W.L. Christie esq. of Glyndebourne, in accord with the main fabric, of Sussex sandstone, from designs by Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London : the church contains numerous monuments and several brasses : there are 400 sittings, all free. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Symons, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1871, with sittings for 230. Hays' charity, left in the year 1787 by Miss Hays, consists of £2,000 New £3 Per Cents. and £2,500 Bank Stock; the interest, now amounting to £310 yearly, is equally divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde: the pensioners on this charity are now 2 at £20 yearly, 13 at £10 and 22 at £5. £27 6s 1d from Cheney's charity is distributed yearly and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury. A part of the horse artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down fox hounds, of which the Hon. Charles Brand is master. The principal landowners are the Right Hon. Viscount Gage, the Earl De la Warr, who is lord of the manor, William Langham Christie esq. D.L., J.P. Lord Monk Bretton P.C. Sir James Duke bart. and Sir Charles William Blunt bart. J.P. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £9,733; the population in 1881 was 1,388.
Parish Clerk, Charles Washer.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank & Telegraph Office. - Thomas Miller, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. on week days & 11 a.m. on sunday.

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; F.J. Jones, clerk to the board; John Body, attendance officer.

Board School, built in 1879, for 230 children; average attendance, 210; Martin Luther Martin [sic], master ; Miss Jane Whitborne, mistress

County Police Station, Thomas Henry Moore


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Burgess Henry
Caswell Edward
Chapman Mrs. Laburnam house, The Green
De Putron Aubrey Balliol, Delves house
Dewé William, Parkgate
Fisher Rev. Frank Hugh M.A. [curate], The Green
Horsey Thomas, The Elms
Jenner Richard, The Green
Mudge Mrs. Middleham
Page John, Elm villa
Porter John, Park house
Rickman Miss, Wellingham
Symons Rev.Edward M.A. Vicarage


COMMERCIAL.

Aldrick Henry, farmer, Wellingham
Baker William, Railway inn, Moor lane
Banks James, Cock P.H.
Burfoot Sarah (Mrs.), Green Man P.H.
Burton Henry, farmer
Bushby John, farmer
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Catt Henry, farmer, Clay hill
Chandler Robt. Wm. butcher, The Green
Cornwell Wm. farmer, Chamberlaines
Crosskey Albert Ward, brewer, Wellingham
Divall Thomas (Mrs.) boot maker
Fleet John (Mrs.), Old Ship P.H.
Ford Alfred (Mrs.), butcher, Broyle side
Funnell George, farm bailiff to George Bushby, esq
Hemsley David, baker, The Green
Holford Samuel, farmer, Clay hill
Hollingdale Thos. & Son, millers (wind), Moor lane
Holman Samuel, miller (wind) & farmer, Broyle
Holmden Frank, farmer, Old House frm
Homblin John William, farmer
Jones Samuel, wheelwright, The Green
Martin William Frederick, builder, contractor & horticultural works
Martin Thomas, farmer, Goat farm
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Miller Thos. grocer, draper, & post office
Moon William, farmer, Middle Broyle
Painter Charles, blacksmith
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Paige Theophilus, farmer, Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Paine Henry William, farmer
Pannett Henry, Lower Barn farm
Paris Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Parris David, butcher, The Green
Payne Charles, huntsman to the South Down foxhounds, Kennel, Ringmer ho
Pockney Charles, cowkeeper
Porter John, farmer, Park house
Pratt Richard, farmer, Mount farm
Ranger Mark, farmer
Rowland Peter, grocer, draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants
Sampson Richard King, farmer
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
Stevens Harry, blacksmith, The Green
Waller Henry, shoe maker, The Green
Washer Charles, assistant overseer & rate collector, The Green
White James, brick & tile maker, Broyle
Whyte James, Anchor P.H.