Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1924

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Wm. Jn. and frmr. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, on the road from Lewes to Hailsham, 3 miles north-east from Lewes and 48 by road from London: it gives name to a hundred, and is in the Lewes division of the county, rape of Pevensey, petty sessional division, union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower, containing 8 bells and a clock: the church was restored in 1884-5, at a cost £3,002 and the tower rebuilt at the same date: the edifice contains numerous monuments and several brasses: the stained east window, a memorial to Queen Victoria, was presented by W.L. Christie esq.: a stained window was erected in 1922, by Mrs. Sanderson, in memory of her husband, son and daughter: some of the other windows are stained: a new organ, costing £5,000, was presented by Capt. John Christie in 1923: the church affords 400 sittings. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value about £441, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1916 by the Rev. George Robson Leefe, of St. Bees. Mrs. Duncan is the lay rector and impropriator of the great tithes. Here is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1835 and seating 120 persons, and also a Calvinistic chapel. There is a cross, bearing the names of the men connected with this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The village sign, erected at the entrance to the village on the main Lewes road, was presented by Lady Demetriadi, and unveiled by George Harvey esq. the American Ambassador, on Oct. 24th, 1923. Miss Hays' charity, 1787, producing about £309 6s. 10d. yearly, is divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde; £31 from Cheney's charity is expended yearly in the maintenance of an almshouse, and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion now remains, is occupied as a farmhouse. The kennels of the Southdown Foxhounds are in this parish; F. Moffat Smith esq. is master; the pack comprises 35 couples of hounds and hunts mondays, wednesdays and saturdays. Lewes, Brighton, Hassocks and Uckfield are convenient centres; Lewes is the nearest railway station to the kennels. Capt. John Christie is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The area is 5,729 acres of land and 10 of water; rateable value, £5,280; the population in 1921 was 1,359.

Parish Clerk, Frank Washer.

Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office. - William John Wilmshurst, sub-postmaster. Letters through Lewes

Public Elementary School, built in 1879, for 230 children, & enlarged in 1893 for an additional 70 children; Bertram Gurr, head master.

Carriers to Lewes.- Isted, passes through daily, & Shelton, daily

Motor omnibuses pass through at regular intervals


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Barkworth Miss, Oakmede
Bousfield Major Eldred, Oaklands
Bowerman Percy H. Up Clay hill
Byron John, Downlands
Carlyon Frank, The Lanchets
Collier Mrs. Lugano
Craven Lt.-Col. Waldemar Dacre D.S.O. Middleham
Dacre-Adams Mrs. Carey cottage, Broyle lane
Diplock Mrs. Ashtonville
Edwards Walter E. Wyngarth
Fenner Frederick, The Chestnuts
Ford Frederick C. Wellingham
Godden Alfred George Edward, The End house
Kibbler Misses, Ashcroft
King-Sampson Richard, Elm court
Kinnaird Henry John, Church cot
Laurence T. Herbert, Parkgate
Lawford Philip E. Elmhurst
Leefe Rev. George Robson (vicar), The Vicarage
Malcolm Miss, Wellingham house
Malcolm Mrs. The Laurels
Martin Miss, Elm grove
Oldham Miss, St. Hugh's
Paris Frederick, Norlington villa
Paris William James, 3 Church villas
Pelham Hon. Henry George Godolphin, Holme
Pember Mrs. Wellingham house
Russell Charles F. The Lodge
Sealey George Eliot, Park house
Southerden Mrs. Ivydene
Spencer Gerald, Delves house
Tatham Miss, The Bays, Broyle lane
Thornton Col. Leslie Heber C.M.G., D.S.O. The Elms
Treherne Mrs. Merton cottage
Twort Walter, The Briars
Walker Mrs. The Bungalow


COMMERCIAL.

Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over.

Aldridge Charles Alexander, insurance agent, Lovegrove villas
°Andrew George Lovering, farmer, Clayhill farm
Andrew Geo. Stewart, farmer, Clay hill
Banks Fred, beer retailer
Barefoot Gerald R.G. Green Man P.H.
Barratt George Frederick, Cock P.H.
Bennett Frank Chas. farmer, Old barn
Blunt John, farmer (letters through Shortgate)
Brinkhurst James, farmer, Green la
Brooks Henry James, chimney sweeper, Rushey green
Carr William, cowkeeper, Smith's frm
Chandler Elizabeth (Miss), apartments, Downs view
Clark Frank, blacksmith
°Craig John, farmer, Goat farm
Day Thomas, farmer, Broyle gate
Diplock Charles, horse slaughterer
Divall Herbert, boot maker
°Edward George, farmer, Broyle side
°Foord Edward & Walter, farmers, Broyle place
Foord George Bernard, farmer, Laughton road
Foord Harry, farmer, Upper Broyle farm
Foord James, farmer, Upper Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Fuidge Henry, farmer, Moor la
Funnell Albert, Old Ship P.H. North End
Funnell Robert, farmer, Moor lane
Gaston & Son, bakers
Geering Lewis Arth. baker, The Grn
Glyndebourne Estate Office (Walter E. Edwards, sec)
Glyndebourne (The) Motor Works (W.J. Thorpe, manager), motor engineers
Glyndebourne Nurseries (A. H. Foard, manager)
Goldsmith John, grocer
Goldsmith Luke, farmer, Norlington
Gray Edward, grocer, The Green
Guy Charles Alfred John, farm bailiff to Jas. Henry Martin, Wellingham
Harmes Amos, Railway inn, Laughton road
Harper Joseph, farmer, Norlington
Hartfield Thos. farmer, Middle Broyle
Hoad David, farmer, Harrison's lane
Hobden Jas. agricltrl machine owner
°Hollingdale Thomas, farmer, Old House farm
Holter Alfred J. miller, Rushey Grn
Hooper Chas. H. butcher, The Green
Huggett D. & F.A. carpenters
Jackson Joseph S. boot & shoe repr
Jones Henry, wheelwright
King-Sampson Richd. frmr. Elm court
Newnham Joseph, market gardener
Paris William James, assistant overseer for Ringmer, Hansey [sic] & Barcombe & assessor & collector of King's taxes, 3 Church villas
Piper Henry, farmer, Moor lane
Pockney William, farmer, Norlington
Pullinger Geo. farmr. Little Norlington
Ranger Alfd. farmer, Chamberlains fm
Rayward Reginald James, farmer
R.B.W. (THE) (Ringmer (The) Building Works), builders (Frank Bedman, mngr.). T N Lewes 300
Ringmer Cricket Club (F.T. Flynn, sec)
Ringmer Working Men's Club (Alfd. Tasker, hon. sec)
Saunders Miriam (Mrs.), farmer, Moor lane
Seward William Edward, farmer
Southdown Fox Hounds (Frank Moffatt Smith esq. J.P. master)
Stone Leonard Tom, farmer, Arches farm
Taylor Spencer, farmer, Swingate
Thomset Alpha (Mrs.) farmer, Smith's lane
Turner Thomas, farmer, Middle Broyle
Turner Wm. carman, Middle Broyle
Twort Walter, motor engineer & haulage contractor; motor vans, lorries & chars-à-bancs for hire; all accessories, repairs, petrol, oils &c.; all sizes of solid tyres in stock
Veness Tom, woodreeve to Capt. J. Christie, Harveys gate
Verrall Able, farmer, Brick yard, Green lane
Waller Wm. J. Anchor P.H. The Green
Westgate Rebecca (Mrs.), Paygate laundry
Wickens Samuel, farmer, The Mount
Wicks Richard Thomas, builder
Wilmshurst Wm. Jn. grocer, Post off