Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1899

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Wltr. and frmr. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, on the road from Lewes to Hailsham, 3 miles from Lewes and 48 by road from London, in the Southern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Lewes petty sessional division and county court district, Pevensey rape, Lewes union, rural deanery of Lewes (first division) and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is of stone in the Perpendicular style, and has a tower, containing 8 bells and a clock; the church was restored in 1884-5, at a cost £3,002 and the tower re-built at the same date, W. F. Martin, of Ringmer, being the builder; the edifice contains numerous monuments and several brasses, and affords 400 sittings. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage; net yearly value £250, with residence, in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Frank Barrow Gribbell B.D. Cantuar. Col. Duncan is the lay rector and impropriator of the great tithes. Here is a Congregational chapel. Miss Hays' charity, 1787, producing about £336 yearly, is divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde; about £30 from Cheney's charity is expended yearly in the maintenance of an almshouse, and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Delves House, an ancient building, the property of Aubrey Balliol de Putron esq. is at present occupied by the Rev. Walter Alfred Errington M.A. (curate). Oaklands, the property of W.L. Christie esq. is at present occupied by Henry S. Cotton esq. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion now remains, is occupied as a farmhouse. The South Down Hunt Steeplechases are held here in April, and are well attended; the course is near Broyle mill. Here are also the kennels of the South Down fox hounds, consisting of upwards of 50 couples, of which the Hon. Charles Brand is master. The pack hunts four times a week. Brighton, Uckfield and Lewes are convenient places for hunting visitors. William Langham Christie esq. of Glyndebourne, who is lord of the manor, Lord Monk Bretton and Sir James Duke bart. of Laughton, are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £7,875 ; the population in 1891 was 1,497.
Parish Clerk, Frank Washer.

Post, M.O. & T.O., T.M.O., Express Delivery, Parcel Post, S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - William John Wilmshurst, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes 7 a.m. & 4 p.m.; dispatched at 1 & 6.30 & 8 p.m. on week days, & 11 a.m. on sundays & 11 a.m. & 8 p.m. on Bank holidays

A School Board of 5 members was formed 16 Dec. 1875 : John Miles, 73 High street, Lewes, clerk to the board ; Frank Washer, attendance officer

Board School, built in 1879, for 230 children, & enlarged in 1893 for an additional 70 children; average attendance, mixed department, 179; infants' department, 79; Martin Luther Jackson, master; Mrs. M.L. Jackson, infants' mistress

Carrier to Lewes.- William Turner, daily; others pass through


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Benbow Hy. D.S.O., R.N. Merton ho
Broughton Misses, Clay Hill house
Burfoot Mrs. Rose cottage
Burgess Frank Wltr. St. George's vil
Caswell Edward, 2 Church villas
Cotton Henry S. Oaklands (letters via Isfield Uckfield)
Dewé Lt.-Col. Wm. Horsley, Parkgate
Diplock George, Ashton villa
Errington Rev. Walter Alfred M.A. (curate), Delves house
Fiest Mrs. Southdown villa
Funnell George, 1 Church villas
Gribbell Rev Frank Barrow B.D. (vicar), Vicarage
Guy Mrs. The Briars
Harwood Capt. South Norlington ho
Huggett James, 1 Paygate villas
Jones Miss, Elm hurst
Legge William Heneage
Manson Frederick, Rosemary
Martin Mrs. J.G. Elm grove
Martin Mrs. W.B. Chestnuts
Martin Wm. Fredk. The Wynters
Monson The Hon. Miss, St. Hugh
Mudge Mrs. Middleham
Mudie Wm. Davidson, Ringmer villa
Parker Misses, Downlands
Porter John, Park house
Rickman Miss, Wellingham house
Spencer Capt. Gerald, The Elms
Thompsett Samuel, Smith lane


COMMERCIAL.

Andrew George Lovering, farmer, Plashett farm
Andrews Thos. farmer, Swinggate
Baker John William, Railway inn, Laughton road
Baker Thomas Lester, saddler
Banks James, Cock P.H
Barber Charles, poultry dealer &c. The Olives, Bishops lane
Bradford Henry Geo. grocer, draper &c. & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim. wine & spirit mers. The Green
Broyle Brick-yard, brick makers (Edwin T. Farrant, manager)
Buckingham John Dashwood Bellew, farmer, Clay hill
Burton Henry, farmer, Laughton road
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Clark Frank, blacksmith
Crosskey Albert Ward, brewer, Wellingham
Divall Herbert, boot maker, Church hl
Divall Thomas, farmer, Norlington
Ellis Eli, shopkeeper, Broyle side
Ellis Henry, builder & contractor
Farrant Edwin Thomas, estate bailiff to W.L. Christie esq. Broyle estate works
Fielder Trayton, farmer, Norlington
Fleet Eliza (Mrs.), Old Ship P.H. North end
Foord Charles, carman, Broyle
Foord William (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Ford Henry, butcher, The Green
Fuidge Joseph Wm. farmer, Moor lane
Hemsley David, frmr. Chamberlains fm
Hoad Thomas, cowkeeper, The Green
Holford Samuel Henry, farmer, Norlington house & Clay hill
Hollingdale Thomas, miller & farmer, Old House farm
Hooper Charles, butcher, The Green
Jones Samuel, wheelwright & undertaker
King-Sampson Richd. farmer, Elm vil
Kenward Edward, miller (wind & steam), Broyle mill
Knight Robert, baker, The Green
Legge William Heneage, surgeon & medical officer & public vaccinator, Chailey district, Lewes union
Martin Reuben, farmer, Wellingham
Martin Thomas, farmer, Goat farm
Martin William Frederick, builder & contractor, steam wood works, horticultural builder & brick maker
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Moon William, farmer, Middle Broyle
Novell Charles, cowkeeper, East view
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Painter Charles, blacksmith
Parris David Wm. farmer, The Mount
Piper Henry, farmer, Moor lane
Pockney Charles, cowkeeper, Norlington
Porter John, farmer, Park house
Ranger Mark, farmer, Broyle place
Rogers Henry, Green Man P.H
Sampson Richard King, farmer, see King-Sampson Richard
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
Turner Henry (exors of), farmer, Middle Broyle
Turner William, carrier & coal merchant, Middle Broyle
Verrall Able, farmer, Green lane
Wadsley Robert, kennel huntsman
Washer Chas. assist. Oversr. Broyle la
Weston Horatio Stubbs, farmer
Whyte Mary Ann (Mrs.), Anchor P.H. The Green
Wicks Edwin, farmer, Norlington
Wilmshurst William John, grocer, draper &c. Post office