Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1895

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Robt. Wm. and hl. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, on the road from Lewes to Hailsham, 3 miles from Lewes and 48 by road from London, in the Southern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Lewes petty sessional division and county court district, Pevensey rape, Chailey union, rural deanery of Lewes (first division) and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 8 bells and a clock with Westminster chimes ; the original tower is supposed to have been destroyed by fire in the 15th century, but was rebuilt of Sussex sandstone during the year 1884-5, by the munificence of W.L. Christie esq. of Glyndebourne, in accord with the main fabric, from designs by Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London ; the church was restored in 1884-5 at a cost £3,002, and contains numerous monuments and several brasses, and there are 400 sittings. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage; average yearly value from tithe rent-charge, £299, with residence, in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Frank Barrow Gribbell B.D. Cantuar. Col. Duncan is the lay rector and impropriator of the great tithes. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1871, with sittings for 230. Hays' charity, left in the year 1787 by Miss Hays, consists of £2,900 £2¾ Consols and £2,500 Bank Stock; the interest, now amounting to about £336 yearly, is divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde; the pensioners on this charity are now 2 at £20 yearly, 1 in each parish, 11 at £10 and 29 at £5 yearly; about £30 from Cheney's charity is expended yearly in the maintenance of an almshouse, and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Delves House, an ancient and interesting building, pleasantly situated adjacent to Ringmer green, is the property and residence of Aubrey Balliol de Putron esq. Oaklands, a good residence at the extreme north of the parish, and the property of W.L. Christie esq. Is at present (1895) unoccupied. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion now remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury, and is occupied as a farmhouse. The South Down Hunt Steeplechases are held here in April, and are well attended; the course is near Broyle mill. A part of the former horse artillery barracks, standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down fox hounds, consisting of upwards of 50 couples, of which the Hon. Charles Brand is master. The pack hunts four times a week. Brighton, Uckfield and Lewes are convenient places for hunting visitors. William Langham Christie esq. of Glyndebourne, who is lord of the manor, Lord Monk Bretton P.C. and Sir James Duke bart. are the principal landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £7,923 ; the population in 1891 was 1,497.

Parish Clerk, Frank Washer.

Post, M.O. & T.O., S.B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office. - George Fredk. Hollaway, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes 7 a.m. & 4 p.m.; dispatched at 1 & 6.30 p.m. on week days, & 11 a.m. on sundays Bank holidays

Wall Letter Box, Park gate, cleared at 5.45 p.m. & 9 a.m. on sundays

Pillar Letter Box, Railway inn, Laughton road, cleared at 5.45 week days only

Pillar Letter Box (junction of Laughton & Shortgate roads), cleared at 6 p.m. week days only

A School Board of 5 members was formed 16 Dec. 1875 ; John Miles, 73 High street, Lewes, clerk to the board ; John Body, attendance officer

Board School, built in 1879, for 230 children, & enlarged in 1893 for an additional 70 children; average attendance, mixed department, 166; infants' department. 87; Martin Luther Jackson, master; Mrs. M.L. Jackson, infants' mistress


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Benbow Hy. D.S.O., R.N. Merton ho
Burgess Frank Walter, Ringmer villa
Caffyn William Morris, 2 Paygate vils
Caswell Edward, 2 Church villas
De Putron Aubrey Balliol, Delves ho
Dewé Major William Horsley, Parkgate
Gribbell Rev Frank Barrow B.D. (vicar), Vicarage
Guy Mrs. The Briars
Hillman Mrs, 3 Church villas
Huggett James, 1 Paygate villas
Jenner Richard, The Green
Jones Miss, Saunton cottage
Legge William Heneage
Martin Mrs. J.G. Elm grove
Martin Mrs. W.B. Chestnuts
Meaden Chas. Oak cottage, Bushey [sic] grn
Monson The Hon. Miss, St Hugh
Mudge Mrs. Middleham
Porter John, Park house
Rickman Miss, Wellingham house
Spencer Capt. Gerald, The Elms
Whiffen Mrs. The Cottage


COMMERCIAL.

Andrew George Lovering, farmer, Plashett farm
Andrews Thos. farmer, Swinggate
Baker John William, Railway inn, Laughton road
Banks James, Cock P.H .
Barber Charles, poultry dealer &c. The Green
Bradford Henry Geo. grocer, draper &c. & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Lim. Wine & spirit mers. The Green
Broyle Brick-yard, brick makers (Edwin T. Farrant, manager)
Buckingham John Dashwood Bellow, farmer, Clay hill
Burfoot Sarah (Mrs.), Green Man P.H.
Burton Henry, farmer, Laughton road
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Chandler Rbt. Wm. butcher, The Green
Crosskey Albert Ward, brewer, Wellingham
Divall Herbert, boot maker, Church hl
Divall Thomas, farmer, Norlington
Ellis Eli, shopkeeper, Broyle side
Ellis Henry, builder, New Town
Farrant Edwin Thomas, estate bailiff to W.L. Christie esq. Broyle estate works
Fielder Trayton, farmer, Norlington
Finch William, farmer, Green lane
Fleet Eliza (Mrs.), Old Ship P.H. North end
Foord Charles, carman, Broyle
Foord William (Mrs.), farmer, Upper Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Ford Henry, butcher, The Green
Fuidge Joseph Wm. farmer, Moor lane
Funnell George, road surveyor, 1 Church villas
Gardiner Thos. Edwd. coach builder, The Green
Gillham Edward, chimney cleaner, Church hill
Hemsley David, baker, The Green
Holford Samuel Hy. farmer, Clay hill
Hollaway Geo. Fredk. grocer, draper, pork butcher &c. Post office
Hollingdale Thomas, miller (wind), Mill plain
Holmden Stanford, frmr. Old House frm
Jones Samuel, wheelwright & undertaker, The Green
Kenward Edward, miller (wind & steam), Broyle mill
King-Sampson Richd. farmer, Elm vil
Legge William Heneage, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, 2nd district, Chailey union
Martin Reuben, farmer, Wellingham
Martin Thomas, farmer, Goat farm
Martin William Frederick, builder & contractor, steam wood works, & horticultural builder & brick maker
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Moon William, farmer, Middle Broyle
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Painter Charles, blacksmith
Pannett Henry, farmer, Norlington
Parris David Wm. Mount Pleasant
Piper Henry, farmer, Moor lane
Pockney Charles, cowkeeper, Norlington
Porter John, farmer, Park house
Ranger Mark, farmer, Broyle place
Sampson Richard King, farmer, see King-Sampson Richard
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons John, farmer, Shortgate rd
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
Turner Henry, farmer, Middle Broyle
Wadsley Robert, kennel huntsman
Washer Chas. assist. Oversr., Church hll
Wenham & Clark, blacksmiths
Wicks Edwin, farmer, Norlington
Whyte Mary Ann (Mrs.), Anchor P.H. The Green