Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1882

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Robt. Wm. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, 3 miles north-east from Lewes and 48 by road from London, on the road to Hailsham, in the Eastern division of the county, Chailey union, Ringmer hundred, Lewes county court district, Pevensey rape, rural deanery first division, and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester and is one of the peculiars under the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and a bell-turret with wooden spire: the church contains numerous monuments and several brasses. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £420, with residence, in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Symons, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1871, with sittings for 230. Hays' charity, left in the year 1787 by Miss Hays, consists of £2,000 new £3 Per Cents. and £2,500 Bank Stock; the interest, now amounting to £310 yearly, is equally divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde: the pensioners on this charity are now 2 at £20 yearly, 13 at £10 and 22 at £5. £27 6s 1d from Cheney's charity is distributed yearly and Thomas and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury. A part of the horse artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down foxhounds. Here is a police station of the Sussex constabulary. The principal landowners are Viscount Gage, the Earl de la Warr, who is lord of the manor, W.L. Christie, esq., M.P. Right Hon. J.G. Dodson, M.P. and Lady Duke. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £9,038; and the population in 1881 was 1,388.

Parish Clerk, Charles Washer.

POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank. - Thomas Miller, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes 7 a.m.; dispatched at 6.30 p.m. on week days & 11 a.m. on sunday. The nearest telegraph office is at Lewes
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; F.J. Jones, clerk to the board
Board School, built in 1879, for 230 children, with an average attendance of 140; Joseph Hardy, master; Miss Frances Terry, mistress


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Anderson Rev. Alfred Ebenezer [curate]
Burgess Henry
Dewe William, Parkgate
Horsey Thomas, The Elms
Hother George
Jenner Richard, The Green
Lawes Charles
Lively Thomas, The Green
Mitchell John, The Green
Mudge John W. Middleham
Paine Henry William, The Green
Rickman Miss, Wellingham
Symons Rev.Edward B.A. Vicarage
Tayler Charles Henry, Delves house


COMMERCIAL.

Aldrick Henry, farmer, Wellingham
Banks James, Cock
Barnes Eliza (Mrs.), Railway inn, Moor lane
Bray Maria (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Burfoot William, Green Man
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Catt Henry, farmer, Clay hill
Champion George, huntsman to the South Down foxhounds; kennel at Ringmer house
Chandler Robt. Wm. butcher, The Green
Cornwell Wm. farmer, Chamberlaines
Crosskey Albert Ward, brewer, Wellingham
Divel Thomas (Mrs.), boot maker
Fleet John (Mrs.), Old Ship
Ford Alfred (Mrs.), butcher, Broyle side
Funnell George, farm bailiff to George Busby, esq
Hamblin John William, farmer
Hemsley David, baker, The Green
Hillman Thomas Stanton, farmer
Holford Samuel, farmer, Clay hill
Hollingdale Thos. & Son, millers (wind), Moor lane
Holman Samuel, miller (wind) & farmer, Broyle
Holmden Frank, farmer, Old House frm
Hother George, surgeon
Ireland Edwin, farmer, Broyle place
Jones Samuel, wheelwright, The Green
Martin Thomas, farmer, Goat farm
Martin William Frederick, builder, surveyor, steam wood works & horticultural builder
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Miller Thos. grocer, draper, & post office
Noakes William, blacksmith
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Paige Theophilus, farmer, Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Paine Henry William, farmer
Paris Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Parris David, butcher, The Green
Pockney Charles, cowkeeper
Pratt Richard, farmer, Mount farm
Ranger Mark, farmer
Rowland Peter, grocer, draper, & agent for W.A. Gilbey wine & spirit merchants
Sampson Richard King, farmer
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
Somers Wm. Rashley, farmer, Oaklands
Stevens Harry, blacksmith, The Green
Talbot William, Anchor
Waller Henry, shoe maker, The Green
White James, brick & tile makers, Broyle