Kelly's Directory of Sussex

1890

Entry for Ringmer

The words in the directory have been carefully copied to represent the text as it appears in the printed form. Abbreviations such as Robt. Wm. and ho. have been kept, thereby allowing researchers to make their own assumptions. The format is different - in the printed form the description is in two columns and the names are in three columns.

RINGMER is a village and parish, situated on the road from Lewes to Hailsham, 3 miles from Lewes, and 48 by road from London, in the Southern division of the county, Ringmer hundred, Lewes petty sessional division and county court district, Pevensey rape, Chailey union, rural deanery of Lewes (first division) and archdeaconry of Lewes and diocese of Chichester. The church of St. Mary the Virgin is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, containing 8 bells and a clock with Westminster chimes : the original tower was destroyed by fire about two hundred years since, but was rebuilt of Sussex sandstone in 1886, by the munificence of W.L. Christie esq. of Glyndebourne, in accord with the main fabric, from designs by Mr. Ewan Christian, architect, of London : the church contains numerous monuments and several brasses, and there are 400 sittings. The register commences in the year 1560. The living is a vicarage; average yearly value from tithe rent-charge, £323, with residence, in the gift of the archbishop of Canterbury, and held since 1863 by the Rev. Edward Symons, M.A., of Wadham College, Oxford. Col. Duncan is the lay rector and impropriator of the great tithes. Here is a Congregational chapel, built in 1871, with sittings for 230. Hay's charity, left in the year 1787 by Miss Hays, consists of £2,900 £2¾ Consols and £2,500 bank stock; the interest, now amounting to about £336 yearly, is divided between the poor of Ringmer and Glynde; the pensioners on this charity are now 2 at £20 yearly, 1 in each parish, 11 at £10 and 29 at £5 yearly; about £30 from Cheney's charity is expended yearly in the maintenance of an almshouse, and Thomas's and Stapeley's charity of £10 yearly is applied to educational purposes. Broyle Place, an ancient mansion, of which only a portion remains, is supposed to have been built by one of the archbishops of Canterbury, and is now occupied as a farmhouse. A part of the horse artillery barracks, formerly standing near the village, has been converted into a kennel for the South Down fox hounds, of which the Hon. Charles Brand is master. The pack hunts four times a week. Brighton, Lewes and Eastbourne are convenient places for hunting visitors. The principal landowners are William Langham Christie esq. D.L., J.P. who is lord of the manor, Lord Monk Bretton P.C. Sir James Duke bart. and Sir Charles William Blunt bart. J.P. The soil is clay; subsoil, chalk. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 5,626 acres; rateable value, £7,761 ; the population in 1881 was 1,388.

Parish Clerk, Frank Washer.

POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. - Thomas Miller, sub-postmaster, Ringmer green. Letters arrive through Lewes 7 a.m. & 4 p.m. ; dispatched at 1 & 6.30 p.m. on week days, & 11 a.m. on sundays

WALL LETTER BOX, Park gate, cleared at 5.45 p.m. & 9 a.m. on sundays

PILLAR LETTER BOX, Railway inn, Laughton road, cleared at 5.45 week days only

A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875 ; F.J. Jones, clerk to the board ; John Body, attendance officer.

Board School, built in 1879, for 230 children ; average attendance, 215 ; Martin Luther Jackson, master ; Mrs. M.L. Jackson, mistress


PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Burgess Henry
Caswell Edward, Church villas
Chapman Mrs. Laburnam ho. The Green
Davies Rev. Charles Douglas Percy M.A. [curate]
De Putron Aubrey Balliol, Delves house
Dewé Major William Horsley, Parkgate
Edwards Miss, Rushy Green
Hillman Joseph, 3 Church villas
Jenner Richard, The Green
Legge William Heneage
Martin Mrs. J.G. Elm grove
Martin Mrs. W.B. The Chestnuts
Molineux Major Harold Parminter, The Oaklands. [Letters via Isfield]
Mudge Mrs. Middleham
Pannett William, Union terrace
Porter John, Park house
Rickman Miss, Wellingham house
Symons Rev.Edward M.A. Vicarage
Wedd Henry, Union terrace


COMMERCIAL.

Baker John William, Railway inn, Laughton road
Banks James, Cock P.H.
Burfoot Sarah (Mrs.), Green Man P.H.
Burton Henry, farmer, Laughton road
Carey George, farmer, Broyle side
Catt Henry, farmer, Clay hill
Chandler Frank, assist. Oversr. The Green
Chandler Robt. Wm. butcher, The Green
Cornwell John, farmer, Chamberlaines
Crosskey Albt. Ward, brewer, Wellinghm
Divall Thomas (Mrs.), boot maker
Duke William Thomas, grocer & draper, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, The Green
Ellis Eli, shopkeeper, Broyleside
Fielder Trayton, farmer, Norlington
Finch William, farmer, Green lane
Fleet John (Mrs.), Old Ship P.H.
Funnell George, farm bailiff to George Bushby esq
Hemsley David, baker, The Green
Holford Samuel, farmer, Clay hill
Hollingdale Thomas & Son, millers (wind), Moor lane
Holmden Stanford, farmr, Old House frm
Jones Samuel, wheelwright, The Green
Kennard Edward, miller (wind) & farmer, Broyle mill
Legge William Heneage, surgeon, & medical officer & public vaccinator, 2nd district, Chailey union
Martin William Frederick, builder & contractor, steam wood works, & horticultural builder
Martin Reuben, farmer, Wellingham
Martin Thomas, farmer, Goat farm
Miller Joseph, builder, Broyle side
Miller Thos. Grocer, draper, & post office
Moon William, farmer, Middle Broyle
Painter Charles, blacksmith
Page John, farmer, Lodge farm
Paige Theophilus, farmer, Upper Lodge farm, Upper Broyle
Pannett Henry, farmer, Norlington & Lower Barn farms
Paris Mary Ann (Mrs.), grocer & draper
Parris David, farmer, The Green
Pockney Charles, farmer
Porter John, farmer, Park house
Pratt Richard, farmer, Mount farm
Ranger Mark, farmer, Broyle place
Sampson Richard King, farmer
Scott George, beer retailer
Seal David, baker
Simmons Obed, farmer, Moorlane
Stevens Harry, blacksmith, The Green
Turner Henry, farmer & brick maker, Middle Broyle
Wadman Albert, farmer
Wadsley Robert, kennel huntsman
Waller Henry, shoe maker, The Green
Wicks Edwin, farmer, Norlington
Whyte James, Anchor P.H., The Green