The Police House
Prior to the erection of the Police House on the Lewes Road, unmarried constables lived in lodgings. There are also records of married officers (Sgt Diplock and P.C. Doust) living in Harrisons Lane.
On 31 January 1919 a need for a new Police Cottage was reported to the Housing Sub-Committee of the Standing Joint Committee. On 21 October 1919 it was reported that a site of 2 rods in area had been purchased for the sum of £45.
Mr H Phibbs ARIBA FSI, of Seveirg Buildings, High Street, Lewes, was appointed as Architect for the erection of cottages at Chailey, Eastbourne Rural, Hailsham Rural, Newhaven Rural, Newhaven Urban and Uckfield Rural.
On 17 February 1920 the plans for a pair of cottages at Ringmer (one for police and one for the roadman) were approved, subject to the substitution of water for earth closets.
On 7 December 1920 the Clerk reported to the Housing Sub-Committee that the cottages (for one roadman and one policeman) at Ringmer were completed and ready for occupation. The total cost (including site etc.) was £2,194.1s. 8d, viz. £1219.0s.10d for the police cottage and £975.0s.10d for the roadman's cottage.
An office was added to the house in the early 1950's.
The Sussex Police Authority sold the house on 14 January 1999 as part of its policy of disposing of police-owned property and closing rural stations. It was back on the market in 2001 at an asking price of £155,000 and was resold.
Other Police Housing
Following the amalgamation in 1968, the Sussex Police Authority purchased a number of houses in Ringmer which were occupied by police officers serving at the Force Headquarters in Lewes. With the increasing trend towards home-ownership by police officers, these houses were subsequently sold. Ringmer became a popular area for home-ownership for police officers, who serve in various parts of the county.